Monday, August 15, 2011

Things I learned today

I had my second interview today for a job that I applied for. Remember my post on talking too fast when I'm nervous? Yeah, I got shortlisted despite the fact that I didn't do well in the first one. I was very surprised when I entered the building and saw a familiar face. A college batchmate also applied for the job and got shortlisted as well.

I think I didn't get  the executive assistant post. There were three of us who were said to be the most qualified for the job and between the two girls and me, I think they are way ahead of me. They both live near the main office. The other one has a background on human resource development and the other in publications. They are taller than me. If that matters.

However, the company's HR director told us that they "need" the three of us. They said they already have a placement for us. Hopefully, I get a position in training and development or something like that.

I learned a lot from the HR director today. He's a good guy with lots of good insights.

First, he told us that having a good timing has its perks. Listening to him, I think I had a failed moment a while ago. I interrupted him while he was saying something to another applicant. Ha ha. I'm sorry for being talkative, I just have to speak my thoughts out loud. I'm sure that didn't give him the most proper impression of me. I am actually very reserved and talk only as needed.

He also said that we should value honesty and humility. He said that in this company, we couldn't differentiate who is the boss and who are the staff. This kind of got through to me, because he also mentioned that we shouldn't act proud just because we got a certain degree in a certain university and we possess certain skills and we're like the best employee the company has ever hired. Graduates from my university have this certain "yabang". And I think I am not an exemption. I take pride in my U-ni-ber-si-dad ng Pi-li-pi-nas! Lol.

And this is probably my worst moment of the day. I introduced myself as someone who has passion for work. I was told today that we shouldn't carry our own chairs. Let the quality of your work speak for yourself, he said. Yeah, I agree. I should just probably stick to name, university, age, and address intro.

Today was an okay day. I felt okay. I have a training scheduled a week from now. Alas, I have something to do everyday. But I might not be able to have internet access for two weeks, except for weekends, because we had to do some field work and I should stay with the rest of the trainees in the center. Sounds exciting. I could finally see the world outside my house's fences.

Ow life.

2 comments: