Sunday, August 28, 2011

Quantifying


My family's youngest baby turned one today. She is a blessing to all of us. She is our little bundle of joy! Now that we only have two days to move to a new house, I think I would really miss her to pieces when we're not neighbors anymore. Sadfaise. Ugh, I really wish I could watch her grow up.

Actually, this baby hates me now. Whenever I try to hug or kiss her, she would hit me in the face. When I came home from my training last Friday, I think she have already forgotten about me. But this doesn't make me love her less! Before, I would babysit her every afternoon and she would jump on me whenever she sees me. I kinda feel sad that maybe she won't recognize me anymore when my family's gone to another place.

Anyways, today, while everyone's busy preparing for her birthday party, a thought crossed my mind. I think numbers just make things more complicated for us humans. I'm not saying that because I hate math. Contrary to popular belief, I am actually very good in math.

Ok, I suck in Math.

So I most often do not get the correct amount to pay when my friends and I go out, and I almost failed the most basic algebra in College, but that doesn't make me hate math. Believe it or not, I got a "Best in Math" medal when I was in the 2nd grade in elementary. But that's maybe because all we had to do back then was to add and subtract two digit numbers.

So anyways, I was really thinking that ever since men quantified our lives, it made it more difficult. Just imagine life without numbers--we don't have to worry about time, age gaps, prices, etc. Nobody would be profit-driven. Everyone can fall in love regardless of age difference. Nobody will drown in thoughts of uncertainties of the future. Life would be more simple and plain.

However, this is just my wishful thinking. In reality, people would still see me as a Language-person who sucks in Math. Oh wells.


No comments:

Post a Comment