Sunday, September 4, 2011

Iskolar-ship

Today at church, someone was asked to give a testimony regarding getting a full scholarship in the university. This person is studying at the same university I graduated in.

I remember attending a rally during my first year in college because of the raise in tuition fee in my uni. Our tuition fee rose to more than a hundred percent. If 'm not mistaken, the tuition fee tripled when I got in.

However, students can avail of scholarships that could grant them a percentage of the total TF or for some, they can study on a full scholarship plus stipend. However, the basis of this scholarship is on how much money your parents make.

I'm not saying that this system is not good. I am just thinking that it's not the most perfect scheme to use. Having this scholarship is like having the caste system in the 21st century. You pay more because your parents make more money.

I am not generalizing here, but I know some students who intentionally fail a class because their tuition fee is not as much as those in the Bracket A. Well, I also know students who still intentionally fail classes because they're rich. What I'm pointing at here is that money shouldn't be the primary reason for students to get full scholarships. I know students who are from the middle-class who are more deserving to get a full scholarships than, maybe, a number of financially challenged students.

If I could suggest a new scholarship scheme, I'd say let's give the scholarships to those who get the best grades. So yeah, grades aren't the best measurement to know someone's intelligence but I see students who are working hard to get good grades also deserving of getting scholarships as well. I also think that this will reinforce students to do what they are supposed to do--to study hard.

Better yet, they could just return the price of quality education so that everyone could enjoy the true privileges of being "Iskolar ng Bayan".

No comments:

Post a Comment