Friday, February 17, 2012

How to enjoy work

Whenever I talk with people nowadays, may it be my parents, some neighbors I never really talked with, or friends, they would always remind me to "Enjoy work." It could be that they think I am not enjoying my work or that they think I'm stressed with work. But really, though I may have a tendency to space out when I am at a loss for words in some parts of the day, I think I love what I am doing now than the other jobs I had back.

The primary reason is, maybe, because I have grown comfortable with the people around me. I am used to working on my own since after I graduated I worked "freelance" (and sometimes just an excuse so people will not think I am jobless) and because I also worked online. I have always felt independent and self-sufficient. But for a month of belonging (semi-belonging, actually) to such an awesome team, my perspective on work had a different turn. I used to believe that the key to being proficient in what you do is to love what you do. I still think that, but with some additional modifications. Now, I think that the key to working efficiently is not only to love what you do, but also to love the people you work with.

I had a good read at a 9gag post a few weeks ago that, people should "respect existence or expect resistance." Often times, the bad is being tremendously highlighted that we tend to ignore the good. All people have bad sides; even beds and pillows have them, too, but we sleep on them anyways. Acceptance of people and how they are will always be a good thing to carry in our everyday lives.

I would always remember what Ate Ginang, the head of the department I work with, would always tell us. She said that our job is not solely working but building relationships, which I could not agree more.

So, for those people who are feeling burned out in doing whatever job they do, try asking your colleagues to have a break and hang out--go see a movie, talk over a cup of warm coffee, or whatever it is that floats your boats. Give time to appreciate the people surrounding you and I am sure that they will, too. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment