Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Parasocially in Love

My undergraduate research was a fleeting memory. I only remembered very few parts of it. Sadly, I can't even recall the whole title of my study.

But something reminded me of it while I was browsing through the tweets of Time Healthland. It's about obsession with celebrities. Can you believe that Angelina Jolie's legs have its own Twitter account now? Talk about obsession.


The article, which you can find here, also discussed about Parasocial Interaction. I was planning to include this in my study but as I was writing my Related Lit, I realized it was to hard to incorporate since I was just studying milk ad celeb endorsers and their effects to mommies. Wow, turned up I still have recollections of it. Haha!

I am not sure if everyone has Parasocial Interaction, but I'm quite sure I have. I have been a super fan of a 90's hit band called A1 when I was a kid. I would secretly buy their CDs and stock them under my bed. I was imagining Ben Adams was my boyfriend.


I thought I'd forever be in love with Ben, until I met other boy bands. O yeah, I was also crazy about the Taiwanese F4 when I reached High School.

Quoted in the article mentioned above, Stuart Fischoff explained his view on how people with social difficulties could make the best out of Parasocial relationships, "if they weren't going to be interacting with people otherwise, this makes them at least have a social relationship they didn't have before." I find it a bit strange.

Well, honestly, maybe I am just scared because I am beginning to have another parasocial relationship at 21. I am beginning to fall in love with One Direction. Ha ha ha ha. I've been listening to this song non-stop since two days ago:



Now it makes me ponder on my life. Maybe I have social difficulties. Now that is scary. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment