Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Eight pages until the ending.

Just like any other day, I woke up wanting to sleep more and at the same time, to drink a cup of hot coffee. With an additional task in mind, I got out of bed and folded my blanket habitually. Today, I'll finish "Norwegian Wood" that I started reading a month ago, I told myself. Unfortunately, the day is almost coming to an end but I haven't had the time to finish the eight pages left.

I have actually started reading the first part of the last chapter only to find the lead female character dead. It surprisingly didn't break my heart. Instead, I felt as if it is the male lead's emancipation from a caging love. With all honesty, I do not think Watanabe is in any way in love with Naoko. It is different from love, it is more of... two lonely people depressed of losing a loved one and trying to keep alive by being together. It is like when Mico Sotto died and Angel Locsin got together with his cousin and bestfriend, Oyo Boy Sotto. They dated for a time, but maybe figured out that their connection was they both loved the same guy. In different kinds and levels, of course.

Almost everyone in this book eventually died (majority committing suicide) but as Watanabe would always say he learned, death is not the end of life but a part of it. Everyone seems to be either dying or living in a dead man's life. So, in my point of view, the only character that stood our for me was Midori. She is the other girl in the love triangle in the story. At first, it seemed like she will never get the guy, but I am thinking that she would in the ending. You know how stories would always make the guy stick to the first girl he falls in love with and ignore any great girl that comes his way but I think this is a different case. I would be happy if it ends that way, because it shows that love grows and not just happen over night.

Also, Midori both lost her parents to death but she continued living anyways. A part of the book told of the time when she and her sister went to their father's funeral. The people were expecting them to cry but they didn't. The people probably think they were cold and heartless, but they didn't give them what they wanted. She said they have cried enough during the time their father was suffering that there were no tears left. They refused to put on a show just to please the people around them. This girl definitely deserved the guy. :)

I still have eight pages to read but I am already looking forward to another Haruki Murakami novel. I have been forewarned that his books are depressing but wth, I need drama in my life. Otherwise, it would be as tasteless as water.

No comments:

Post a Comment