Sunday, March 25, 2012

Wonderstruck


I stepped out of the plane feeling like a Sio Mai on a hot steam. Coming from a tropical country, I know I have no right to complain about the hot weather here in Cambodia, which is also known as "The Land of Wonders". I was wishing to drag on the days; I wanted to go back to Vientiane as soon as possible.

But now that the day of my departure has come, I don't feel like coming back home. One week is way too short to enjoy the wonders of this country.

Who doesn't love shopping? Here in Phnom Pehn, you can shop all you can for cheaps. American brands can be bought at a very cheap price since those products were manufactured here. I was airsick when I arrived due to the bumpy air ride but retail therapy had proven to be effective in curing any sickness. On my first day I spent more or less a hundred dollars on clothes, half of my allotted budget for a whole week. I may come out of this country broke but I was more than satisfied with all the stuff I bought. 

Airsick as hell. :(

I went to Tuol Sleng on my third day here. Visiting this old prison gave me a better view of Cambodians. I was forewarned by a colleague about a lot of things about them but my visit gave me a better understanding of how and why they came to be like that. I was told that no one has the right to feel miserable unless s/he is from this country. Because of the civil war, they lost a part of their humanity.

Such an eerie place. It's as if the souls of the people are
still inside, being tortured even in after life.

Prisoners were cuffed, hands and feet, and 
left with no food until they die.


I do not like History. I know that with the past, we can understand the present and possibly predict our future, but something about it bores me. But not with the Cambodian history. I used to feel utterly sad about how Spaniards conquered the Philippines and abused my fellowmen. But Cambodians experienced a hundred times more torture. Or maybe more.

During the Khmer Rouge regime, 2 million victims were tortured, women and children included. Many died. Inside the Genocide Museum, you can see pictures of each victims posted. Some of them even smiling, not knowing what about to happen.



My heart was murdered when I saw this heartbreaking picture:



This is a picture of a woman with her baby in her arms. Her head was screwed with a hole until she dies. Her eyes were open, but it was sad and lifeless. :(

I was glad to meet one of the seven survivors who were prisoned at the time when the Vietnamese came to fight the civil war that reigning power created. Everyday, he comes to Tuol Sleng to share his experiences to tourists who would like to know about what happened in the past.


Phary, a Cambodian who took me around the area, told me that out of the 500 people who visited Toul Sleng, only about 50 people were locals while the rest are foreigners. I was also told by a foreigner who works with Cambodians that the new generation of Cambodians do not know their history. They were afraid that this might happen to them again.

I was looking forward to visiting the Royal Palace, where the King resides. However, the Myanmar Prime Minister came for a visit so the palace was closed for a day. Sad face. 

No school for these kids today, the PM of Myanmar 
was coming. FYI, PNoy is coming next week.
I would love to see Filipino flags all over Phnom Pehn.

Picture OUTSIDE the Royal Palace

I also wanted to visit Angkor Wat. But I found out that it is six hours from where I was. Phary told me that she feels sad about most Cambodians dying without even stepping foot in Angkor Wat. I suddenly felt a tinge of pain in my chest. I haven't been to most of my own country's "wonders".

Because I am creative like that, I managed to take a picture in Angkot Wat. A replica of it, that is.



I will miss the people I have met here in Cambodia. Aside from the amazing places I've seen, my one-week company made my stay a blast. Too bad they wouldn't read this blog. But I'm still thankful to these people.




Oh before I forgot. I ate Spidey's friend. Sorry, Spidey, I still love you to the bones.


This is perhaps the best memory of Cambodia that I will carry on for the rest of my life. 

I ATE A FCKING SPIDER.

Now I finally have something to be proud of.

No comments:

Post a Comment