Sunday, April 22, 2012

Things fall apart


This is the first time I went to a church in three whole months. I wasn't a Catholic, but my heart was seemingly shouting that it needed some kind of refuge. I went there, but I did not know what to do. People were kneeling in front of the altar, doing the sign of the cross, but these were not the faith that I grew up to.

What if the gods were all up there in heaven? A random thought, I know. I know I'm supposed to think that my God is the only God there is, but I cannot help but think that perhaps other people's faith may be true, too. What if we are all correct in our faith?

I am not doubting my faith, I am just respecting other people's beliefs. A novel I read, "Things Fall Apart", made a huge impact on me. Basically, the story was about how the Africans were stripped off of their "natural faith" when the Europeans came and introduced Christianity. It's just hypocritical that those who spread Christianity were also the ones who turned them into slaves.

Today, I saw many Vietnamese coming to the Catholic Church to pray and worship. I should be happy that somehow they were introduced to the Christian faith, but I also cannot help but feel that they were the Africans in the novel mentioned.

Okay, I am not making any sense.


No comments:

Post a Comment