Wednesday, April 18, 2012

I told you it's a snack.

So a Chinese woman was entering the US through San Francisco. The man in customs asked her, "Have you got any food in there?" She said she haven't got any to which the man replied, "You Chinese are all the same, saying you haven't got any food but when we open your luggage, all we can see is food."

Coincidentally, the next person in line was an old Chinese woman. Again, the man asked, "Have you got any food there, Ma'am?" The old lady said, "No, just snack." Much to the man's annoyance, he exclaimed, "I just asked you if there's food in there!" Much more annoyed, the Chinese woman said, "Yes there is no food, just SNACK!" So there was no option left but to open the woman's luggage. Inside was a jar that took the man aback.

"I told you it's a snack!" the woman said with much pleasure on her face, walking away with her jar and her snake inside.

Tee hee. :D

Two days ago, I had lunch with a Singaporean (the anecdote above is her experience), a Canadian, three Vietnamese, and a Bicolana. It fascinates me how we all speak English and yet still misunderstand each other.

Today, while listening to the conversation of my two German companions, I could not help but imagine myself playing The Sims. Their accent sounded a lot like how the Sims talk.

I've always wondered how I sounded to someone else's ear. While walking one night on the streets of Phnom Penh, two Filipinos approached the group I'm with and asked if we got to Cambodia through the Piso promo of Cebu Pacific. For what reason only God knows. Anyways, one guy asked if I were Bisaya because according to him, I have this twang when I speak. But actually, I am pure-blooded Tagalog. My way of speaking is as sharp as a kitchen knife, thank you.

An American writer described Tagalog as "sing-song" while someone I know said it sounds "malambing." I hope it is the latter, because sometimes my ears kind of feel sore while listening to foreign sounds I do not understand.

Or maybe I just miss home. And Tagalog.

No comments:

Post a Comment