Monday, January 23, 2012

Sep!

Though I miss my mom's home cooked meals, I'm having fun trying out Lao food. The first Lao food I tried is called koup piak (or something like that). I wasn't a fan of noodles, but since I'm eating it two nights in a row, I think I'm starting to like it.



I especially like this with crispy fried pork and some fish balls (I'm not sure if they are really fish balls, though). The white noodles didn't appeal much to my taste buds, but I learned to appreciate it after some time. Someone told me that this also contains some carabao grass, but I doubt if it's real.


I forgot the local name for this dish, but I think this is their own version of spring rolls. Inside it contains ground pork and some herbs. I think the wrapper is made out of rice at it tastes like it. Initially I thought this is Siomai, but it tastes far from it. I like the sweet-spicy taste of this dish's dip.


Maybe my mind is automatically correlating Lao and Filipino food as I thought this would taste like Adobo. But it doesn't taste anything like it. I like this dish though. Well, I can really eat anything pork.


And finally, fresh veggies! Lao people are very fond of eating raw vegetables. I can't blame them though, their vegetables here are very fresh and delicious. :)

I haven't really explored much so I still haven't tried a lot of their food. But I can share some interesting facts that might surprise visiting foreigners. First, they wash wooden disposable chop sticks. I was taken aback by this, but had gotten used to it anyways. You can't do anything when you have no choice anyways. So, if you're an OC, better bring your own chopsticks. Second, sticky rice is more popular here than steamed rice. Sticky rice is yummy especially when eaten the proper way. So you get an amount of rice with your bare hands, press the rice together using the fingers on your left hands and eat with your right hand! It's hard to explain so you have to see a Lao in action to understand. Haha. Third, I have no third. Sep means yum!

1 comment: