Saturday, January 28, 2012

Fa Lang

I like the idea of being in an entirely new place; better if in a place with a dialect or a language I don't understand.  Why? Because it gave me an excuse to everything. I always think that people would forgive my weird actions because I am a foreigner, like how I would see my Korean classmates and think that folding the hem of their jogging pants to knees length was weird. But since they were Korean, it was acceptable; maybe not only for me but for other people as well.

My major concern, though, is that I look closely like a Lao. Most of the locals I encounter here would think I am a local, too. Sometimes, Thai, but yeah they also look the same. Yesterday, when I came to the office, a Lao staff greeted me "Sabaidee" and I replied by saying "Good morning!" much to his surprise. I heard him talking to another officemate about how he thought I was a local.

This morning, when buying a coffee in a nearby shop, I was stupid enough not to find the entrance. But really, who would put the main entrance not on the main road. To make things short, it's not my fault but the shop's. LOL. Anyways, a middle aged man was talking to me, instructing me where to go in Lao. I said I am not Lao and that I speak English. Again, he was surprised.

And this maybe the most bewildering by far. I went to the Philippine embassy to accompany an officemate for a passport renewal. Even the Filipino there thought I was Lao. Haha.

So I guess I can adapt very well to this place. I've been here for exactly two weeks now, but it feels like I lived here for a long time. I still would get lost in this city, but I think I found a home in a distant land. I'd stay here longer only if I don't have to wash my clothes everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment