Thursday, September 5, 2013

Facing my fears

"Conquer your fears," my officemate teasing me during our team's after-office meeting for an upcoming event. This same girl described me as "too quiet," the reason why guys do not approach me. In my defense though, I think whoever that person who would un-quiet me, would be the person I'm meant to be with.

Or maybe I'm meant to be forever alone.

Anyways, this blog post isn't about  me pondering on the "Isolation VS. Intimacy" stage from Erikson's theory. This is about how I dislike social interactions. If I could just talk with one person my whole life, I probably would. But no, I share the world with millions of people. It's not that I don't like people, it's just that if I know I don't have to talk to them and fake my interest in whatever topic they want to converse in, I won't. This, I believe, is how my relationship with people fall apart.

Today, I read a very interesting article on the internet. I arrived at work feeling depressed again. But mind you, this is the first this week. I am unusually creative the past few days that today, I feel so drained of ideas. That's why I decided to Google "How to visualize ideas". And I landed on an article about a guy who was paid by a website to totally drift away from the internet for one year. Interestingly, at the end of the article, he realized that the internet doesn't ruin relationships. It's people who let relationships get broken.

Going back to what this post is about, I decided to face my fears. Usually, I would back out of the task of talking with the media during events. My concerned superior asked me, "Are you sure you want this task?" I am not sure if I want it, but the heck, I'll do it anyways!

I wish myself luck. I'm gonna need a lot. Hopefully, this will be a start of the enhancement of my PR skills. Hopefully.


No comments:

Post a Comment